Spirit of Lost Angels - Liza Perrat I really love a book with a strong, intelligent female protagonist. What is especially impressive about the leading lady, Victoire Charpentier, is that she is from the 18th century when women were still considered property. She also was literate, which was rare for a woman of that time and of her station. We watch her rise from poverty into a self-sufficient woman and successful playwright. I loved her spirit and determination throughout all she suffered.

The writing is vividly detailed and transports the reader back to revolutionary France. The sights, sounds, and smells of revolutionary France, from the rural Lucie to bustling Paris, come to life in the book. Adding to the authenticity of the novel, the historical figures of Thomas Jefferson, Mary Wollstonecraft, and Jeanne de Valois are actively featured in the novel.

I would most definitely recommend this book to lovers of quality historical fiction. It appears it is also the first in a series of books on the women of L’Auberge des Anges. That is something to definitely look forward to.