Complicit (Middle English Edition) - Gillian E Hamer This is another nail-biting thriller that grabs you and doesn’t let you go. They just keep getting better and better. I continue to be most impressed with Hamer’s ability to weave historical facts into a modern crime story. The historical element was a Roman invasion of the island Mona Insulis, an attempt to destroy the Druids. The parallel stories are expertly interwoven and independently compelling.

This is the third book that features the team of detectives in North Wales. They are a wonderfully flawed bunch but their investigative skills are exceptional. The supporting characters were intriguing and essential to the plot. I found I was able to identify the killer fairly early, which is unusual for a Hamer book, but the ending surprised me none the less.

There is always an element of historical fiction in Hamer’s books but it was far more prevalent in this book than in the others. I felt it really gave us a look into the true nature of the ancient Druids. It was also a very vital part of the plot as a whole.

This is a book I would definitely recommend. Hamer’s knowledge of the region of North Wales and its history shines through in her writing. She has a talent for making the reader feel like they are a part of the landscape. I am anxious to see what comes next.